1. Walls — Knock on the walls to see if they’re made out of concrete or gypsum board. Ideally, they’re concrete to make sure noise doesn’t transmit as easily between the units.
2. Proximity to Elevators — If you’re a light sleeper or sensitive to noise, choose a unit that’s far from elevators. People tend to talk along the hallway and could easily be heard from the main door.
3. Windows — Check if the window panes are double-glazed/sound proof. Windows can lessen noise transmission by up to 75% as compared to standard windows. Otherwise, choose a unit that’s on a higher floor.
4. Orientation of Windows — Choose units that have windows facing north or south. Units with windows facing East (morning sun) and West (afternoon sun) tend to be hotter in certain hours of the day.
5. Shape of the Unit — Irregularly shaped units tend to have “dead spots” due to slanted walls. So when comparing units, make sure you compare the “useable” area.
6. Ventilation — Make sure the unit has adequate ventilation to avoid moisture and unpleasant odors—especially in the kitchen. This means having a range hood for cooking and a window for each closed partition of the unit.
7. LTE Signal — The entry level internet service of most providers (~3 Mbps) are often times slow or intermittent. It may be more reliable to choosing a unit with good LTE signal and using your mobile phone as a hotspot.
8. Pests — Pest control activities aren’t as reliable as they claim to be. Check cabinets, corners, and bathrooms for traces of pests.
9. Construction Sites — Choose a condo that’s at least 4 buildings away from the nearest construction site. Having these around may cause a lot of dirt to deposit inside the unit or in the balcony.
10. Backup Generator — Ask if the back up generator of the building will be able to provide 100% back up for common areas AND basic back-up power on all units.
By no means do you have to satisfy everything in this list. You just have identify your non-negotiables (e.g. quiet atmosphere) and prevent surprises or disappointments down the road.
PRC Reg. No. 23114
M: 0917 520-5826